Does anyone read in english here?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Libroom Forum IndexEnglish Forum
AuthorMessage

hardgainer
Недавний участник форума

Недавний участник форума

Posted: 25.09.2010 11:10    

Hi guys,how r u. Jst wonder if anyone reads books in english.
Would be great to make a thread in which we'd share our reviews and discuss new releases.Smile)

vira
Член клуба The eBook

Член клуба The eBook

Posted: 26.09.2010 17:16    

Hi!
I do read books in English.
With Kindle I've read:
"No mercy" by John Gilstrap;
"The girl with the Dragon Tatto" by Stieg Larsson

cremor
Член клуба The eBook

Член клуба The eBook

Posted: 26.09.2010 23:23    

Not as often as I'd like to, but I do. The last one was Neil Gaiman's "Stardust". Have to admit I feel disappointed by Gaiman. I've heard a lot of good things about him, but I didn't like neither Stardust, nor American Gods.

Theonna
Член клуба The eBook

Член клуба The eBook

Posted: 27.09.2010 01:18    

I like Terry Pratchett and Goodkind, Asimov, Wolfe, Simak, Hosseini. Gaiman wrote Good Omens with Terry Pratchett- very good book too.
Haven't done latest bestsellers yet.

cremor
Член клуба The eBook

Член клуба The eBook

Posted: 27.09.2010 09:45    

Another book I finished reading quite recently was Imperium by Robert Harris: story of Cicero through the eyes of his slave scribe. A very good reading for those interested in Roman history. Harris knows the subject pretty well and has a good style.

One of my favorite classic authors is Jack London. A surprisingly rich language, absorbing plots and amazing people as the protagonists. Not to forget very humane views of the author.

hardgainer
Недавний участник форума

Недавний участник форума

Posted: 02.10.2010 19:47    

what about justin cronin "The Passage" did anyone read this one? different reviews on that one. Colin Bateman worth to read big time. Fast paced, action packed,witty and unpredictable plot. Real page turner. I read his "Divorcing Jack", "Of wee sweetie mice and men","Belfast confidential","Horse with my name" all been great. highly recommend Wink

alekscooper

Posted: 03.10.2010 13:47    

vira
Hi, vira!

I also have a Kindle and every time I go to Amazon, I see "The girl with the Dragon Tatto" on the front page? Is it good? What do you think of that book?

As for me, a couple of days ago I bought Oscar Wilde's collected works and six plays by Eugene O'Neil. Right now I'm rereading "An Ideal Husband" by Wilde and still can't get enough of it. A brilliant play!

^

vira
Член клуба The eBook

Член клуба The eBook

Posted: 03.10.2010 14:11    

alekscooper
Hi!
"The girl with the Dragon Tatto" in my mind is a kind of unreal detective story, but quite thrilling. I don't know why it's the number one on Amazon. The language isn't difficult as it's a translation from Sweden - easy reading for a time killing. I got it for free from the Flibusta otherwise I wouldn't get it.

borland
Постоянный участник форума

Posted: 03.10.2010 14:49    

vira wrote:
alekscooper
Hi!
"The girl with the Dragon Tatto" in my mind is a kind of unreal detective story, but quite thrilling. .

the first book is crap - i could hardly finish it. was bored to death. the second similar but a little bit more dynamic. The 3-d one is the best but still below average. I have no idea why people around the world get so excited about these very average books. there is much better stuff around...

Theonna
Член клуба The eBook

Член клуба The eBook

Posted: 03.10.2010 19:17    

vira wrote:
"The girl with the Dragon Tatto"

is there because it has a movie made, so people who watched the movie go on to look up the book.

borland

Posted: 03.10.2010 20:01    

the film is bloody awful. even the book is better

alekscooper

Posted: 03.10.2010 20:59    

Never heard about the movie. But the reviews above don't put either the movie or the book on top of my to-download list Smile

^

savguira
Член клуба The eBook

Член клуба The eBook

Posted: 09.10.2010 06:43    

Aye, Sir!

I do... Actually quite a lot... Sometimes even serious stuff like "Canterbury Tales" by Chaucer... Have just recently got the latest Ken Follett (Fall of Giants). It is currently is sitting on my prs 505 in queue... Will start reading after I finish "Разбитая жизнь или волшебный рог Оберона", by Kataev. Wink

alekscooper wrote:

Right now I'm rereading "An Ideal Husband" by Wilde and still can't get enough of it. A brilliant play!

Yep. You are quite right. Oscar Wilde plays rock... Especially
"Importance of being earnest" and "Ideal husband". I know both almost by heart...
Best plays ever written... Too bad it is nearly impossible (at least in the Western Hemisphere) to find them on stage...

Oh well... Quite frankly you can't find Tennessee Williams, or Ibsen or Henry Miller either...
Too bad for the humankind Sad

hardgainer
Недавний участник форума

Недавний участник форума

Posted: 11.10.2010 00:41    

Never got round to read Chaucer lol must b very archaic. That's amazing u can read him no prob. Smile

Try Dickens,i bet u'll like it big time Wink

kgbman
Новенький участник форума

Posted: 17.12.2010 05:16    

Richard Morgan is one of the best new authors - all of his work - outstanding !!

annettak

Posted: 16.01.2011 00:38    

Hey lads and lasses!
I read in English only and the last book I read was Stephen King's latest novel "Under the Dome". A bit longish to my taste and resembles "The Stand", but as usual Stephen King rocks the world! I'm also a fan of Dean Koontz.

The next book on my reading list is "Gentlemen and Players" by Joanne Harris. I was told it's a very decent detective story set in an English private school.

I agree that Oscar Wilde's plays are hilarious, but must confess that I haven't finished any of Dickens' novels - so gloomy.. Chaucer is fun though and for those who enjoy English classics I can advise John Milton's "Paradise Lost" and "Paradise Regained". Very enlightening

БамБук
Продвинутый участник форума

Продвинутый участник форума

Posted: 08.02.2011 17:10    

Is anybody alive here? Very Happy
I sometimes read in English, especially fantasy, e.g. Paolini "Brisingr" or Rowling (no comments Smile )

Dereks
Бывалый участник форума

Бывалый участник форума

Posted: 20.03.2011 03:16    

Read in English all the time. Maybe like half of all I read, or even more. Right now: Quicksilver by Neal Stephenson. Also: Ten Days That Shook the World by John Reed.

justslide

Posted: 05.09.2011 18:30    

I'd disagree with the above opinion of Stieg Larsson's trilogy.
All three books had kept me awake at nights, absolutely impossible to put down. The extensive descriptions in the books might seem tedious to some, but it's mostly a matter of taste, I devoured every single word) I'd say give it a go.

And if you've been browsing among recent bestsellers lists:
I'd read the "Hunger Games" trilogy, due to the hype... The first one's great, the other two are only average.
"The Help" - a very nice novel that deals with issues of racism, but on a very small scale. Worth reading.

Time traveller's wife - I thought the language of the novel was just exquisite. A true science fiction novel, in my opinion, but also a great romance. Do not read if you'd already watched the film (which undoubtedly sucked, compared to the book).

All time favourites:
Lee Harper's "To kill a mockingbird" (won't describe it, it's a classic)
"Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides (after reading this book, you will feel like you have a strong bond or a sympathy with/for people with ambiguous sexuality Smile )
"Death with intervals" by Jose Saramago - although originally written in Spanish, the English translation seems better than Russian. What I love about Saramago's writing is, that it seems that there are no genres or boundaries for him, his writing is unique.

Also, I had heard many good things about the author China Mieville. Haven't read any of his books yet, but google (or amazon) him.

markova602
Искушенный участник форума

Искушенный участник форума

Posted: 03.11.2011 12:17    

Hi there! Its nice to see, that I`m not alone.
I try to read at least 1 book in English per 3 month.
This time it is Clockwork Orange. Quiet interesting and not so difficult

Libroom Forum IndexEnglish ForumAll times are GMT + 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: