Compare transation to original.

Libroom Forum IndexEnglish Forum
AuthorMessage

hardgainer
Недавний участник форума

Недавний участник форума

Posted: 02.10.2010 19:55    

Right guys. did u ever had a chance to compare book to the one translated? What difference does the translation make? Don't u think that translated books and even movies losing their meaning in a way? Like something being lost in translation?

Mike_i
Модератор форума "Новости"

Модератор форума

Posted: 02.10.2010 21:01    

Are you kidding? There are whole forums about things like "how to translate Terry Pratchett" Smile. I think his books loose about 40-60% of jokes, etc. after translation.

I am pretty sure you can speak russian too Wink

alekscooper

Posted: 03.10.2010 13:43    

There's an interesting reverse example of Kurt Vonnegut books. Many people tend to belive, that the Russian translation is way better that the original texts. I personally thinks it's because the vocabulary is richer.

^

hardgainer
Недавний участник форума

Недавний участник форума

Posted: 04.10.2010 01:48    

I wouldn't b so sure about "vocabulary" though Smile Mike,sure i speak russian no prob,otherwise i wouldn't b here lol but i'm convinced somehow that u surpass me in this field Smile))

FiL
Член клуба The eBook

Член клуба The eBook

Posted: 04.10.2010 22:58    

hardgainer wrote:
Right guys. did u ever had a chance to compare book to the one translated? What difference does the translation make? Don't u think that translated books and even movies losing their meaning in a way? Like something being lost in translation?
If you use google to translate then you gonna loose most of a meaning. But if that translation is made by somebody equal to the original author then you get a great translation. Sometimes even better that the original text.

Mike_i
Модератор форума "Новости"

Модератор форума

Posted: 04.10.2010 23:05    

Что то я не понял - чего тут все русскоговорящие на аглицком общаются? Мне английского и на работе хватает Wink

Theonna
Член клуба The eBook

Член клуба The eBook

Posted: 04.10.2010 23:26    

Некоторые обороты и выражения не переводимы дословно и в пересказе тоже не вполне отражают смысл.
Вообще даже когда одну и ту же книгу читают люди, для которых язык написания родной, то и то каждый понимает по своему. Хороший перевод, тот, который включает в себя как можно большее разнообразие толкований на языке перевода, которые при этом возможно близки к толкованиям на языке оригинала.
А так- да, в переводе книги меняются по эмоциональному содержанию, по смысловому и действительно иногда теряют часть содержания, но не исключается возможность, что хороший переводчик на самом деле напишет гораздо более интересную вещь "по мотивам", чем породивший ее оригинал.

It is not possible to fully translate some figures of speech and expressions, literally or in free translation they always loose or distort original meaning.
Even if the same book is presented to the native speakers of the language of that book, each reader understands it in his own way.
Good translation is one, that includes as many meaning for translation as it is possible with those meanings coming as close as possible to the meanings of the original.

Generally, books in translation do change their emotional value, their meaning and some times loose some of the content, but it is possible that good translator can write a better, more interesting book than the original it was based on.

Last edited by Theonna on 05.10.2010 00:26; edited 1 time in total

igorsk
Developer

Developer

Posted: 05.10.2010 00:09    

Mike_i wrote:
Что то я не понял - чего тут все русскоговорящие на аглицком общаются? Мне английского и на работе хватает Wink

This section is called "English Forum" for a reason.

justslide
Новенький участник форума

Новенький участник форума

Posted: 05.09.2011 18:36    

I'd say Stephen King's books are way better in Russian translation.
I'd read everything he'd written, when I was a teenager, in Russian.

Tried reading some it in English recently - and hated it. The language seemed strange - too colloquial, like he wasn't writing the story, but telling it.

Maybe it's just the age/experience thing, maybe it's not)

bogdatov
Член клуба The eBook

Член клуба The eBook

Posted: 05.09.2011 19:54    

justslide
Same for Arthur Clark books. Tried them in English ... original felt like is kinda dull Smile

mirrial
Член клуба The eBook

Член клуба The eBook

Posted: 11.10.2011 15:09    

Недавно прочитала рецензию на книгу "Книжный вор" Зузака. В ветке комментариев есть хороший пример на обсуждаемую тему.
http://www.livelib.ru/review/112853/comment/156519#comments

i read
Член клуба The eBook

Член клуба The eBook

Posted: 12.10.2011 23:16    

Mike_i wrote:
Так в переводе же исказится смысл дискуссии!Smile)

justslide wrote:
The language seemed strange - too colloquial,
One can hardly say Stephen King is too anything, he used to be a teacher of English, so he is definitely very deliberate about his language.

Btw, he's considered to be one of the best authors for English-as-second-language readers, his style and vocabulary being so simple.

Posted after 2 minutes 44 seconds:

mirrial wrote:
http://www.livelib.ru/review/112853/comment/156519#comments
Там в комментариях упоминается перевод Грызуновой "Гордости и предубеждения", вот где цирк с конЯми. Погуглите, если интересуетесь вопросом.

Rss_Navy
Продвинутый участник форума

Продвинутый участник форума

Posted: 21.11.2011 13:43    

The Russian lacks of some Grammar Tenses to express the thoughts of those who write in Russian more clearly. Unlike the French, for instance, who make strenuous efforts to keep their language 'pure', Brits have never been averse to adopting words from any language if they seem useful, with the result that in hundreds of cases English has several words meaning roughly the same thing, but each subtly different in nuance, whereas Russian and other languages have far fewer terms...and often only one !

hardgainer
Недавний участник форума

Недавний участник форума

Posted: 27.09.2012 23:35    

justslide wrote:
I'd say Stephen King's books are way better in Russian translation.
I'd read everything he'd written, when I was a teenager, in Russian.

Tried reading some it in English recently - and hated it. The language seemed strange - too colloquial, like he wasn't writing the story, but telling it.

Maybe it's just the age/experience thing, maybe it's not)

U must be kidding me.. Smile There is no way you can translate King into russian without losing anything... Smile books can be translated only approximately... be it from english to russian or vice versa...

Libroom Forum IndexEnglish ForumAll times are GMT + 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: