EPUB Small Caps Issue (chitanka.info EPUB files)

Libroom Forum IndexSony Reader
AuthorMessage

ivaylodj
Новенький участник форума

Posted: 08.11.2012 13:00    

I found the source of the problem of the ?????? titles, described in topic libroom.net/viewtopic.php?t=20383:

It lays in the internal formatting of the bulgarian 'chitanka.info' site generated EPUB files - the files includes a formatting rule, that instructs the reader to show the text using small capital letters. That is, the small capitals (small-caps) letters have the forms of the capitals, but with the size of the small letters. For more info -> Wikipedia, usually used for indicate text emphasis. Example (titles before paragraphs):

It seems out that the fonts supplied - either via PRS+/boroda/amutin firmware add-ons or user loaded TTF/OTF for epubs and/or for substite the reader systems fonts (used for LRF) in several e-readers, including SONY PRS-350/650/950, does not include the so called small capital letters for cyrillic, used by Russian and Bulgarian e-books.

As far as I see in theory, only a small amount of Open Type Fonts includes such a cyrillic small capitals. In practice, I didn't found such a font yet! If anyone founds such a font with cyrillic small capitals, please share with us.

The "chitanka.info" books, stored in SFB format, have smallcaps styles used for chapters titles and so on. I.e.:
Code:
Интересно форматиране: {m large}по-голям шрифт{/m}, {m smallcaps}текст с главни букви{/m}

When downlaoding an EPUB version, the engine of "chitanka.info" site, converts this on the fly and the following css style in embedded in epub, which causes the ?????? issues for heading, titles and so on, when a font with no small caps is used:

Code:
h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
   font-variant: small-caps;
}

There are numerous ways to overcome this: In my case, a Sony PRS-650 reader with PRS+ installed, I overwrite the epub CSS using custom CSS in the following way:

Code:
h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6 {
   font-variant: normal;
}

1. If customs CSS styles can be used, modify the CSS to overwrite font-variant formatting rule, as in the sample above.
2. If a custom epub fonts can be loaded, load a font containing small capitals for Cyrillic
3. Convert (all) the EPUB books with custom CSS with the overwriting rule, as above.
4. Other methods

If anyone have/knows a better solution, please, share with us.

Can the Moderators include this as a entry in the FAQ ? IN spent hours reading the whole FAQ sections for several e-reader brands to no avail.. This small caps issue is also present on Nook e-Readers. Maybe present also on others with no cyrillic small caps in fonts..

PS: Sorry for writing in English, I understand Russian very well (reading), but have trouble to express quickly and error free in Russian (writing is a problem for me).

adolfainsley8

Posted: 26.04.2016 11:21    

Can the Moderators include this as a entry in the FAQ ?

Libroom Forum IndexSony ReaderAll times are GMT + 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: